When an image appears to have double printed or “ghosted”, the encoder strip and/or encoder wheel need to be cleaned.
To clean the encoder strip:
1. Unlock the carriage from the capping station by powering on the printer leaving the chiller off, and then pressing the ink reset button.
2. Once the carriage is free, power off the machine with the main breaker switch. This will allow you to move the carriage freely.
3. Using a lint free cloth saturated with either Denatured Alcohol (Methyl Hydrate if in Canada), or 95% Isopropyl Alcohol, wipe the encoder strip from end to end, moving the carriage as needed.
4. When finished, power the machine back on, and allow the carriage to home itself. Rerun the print job.
To clean the encoder wheel:
1. With the cover off, locate the encoder wheel.
2. Using a lint free cloth saturated with either Denatured Alcohol (Methyl Hydrate if in Canada), or 95% Isopropyl Alcohol, slowly rotate the encoder wheel with one hand.
3. Inspect for any dust, debris or scratches. Wipe from the center of the wheel, out to remove any dust or debris from the ridges.
4. If there are any large scratches or if there is physical damage to the encoder, please contact Mankind Digital for a replacement.
5. Replace the cover and re run the print job to confirm this has resolved the error.